1. Tiredness. You thought you knew what tiredness was. Now you need a lunchtime nap just to make it through the afternoon, fall asleep on the bus home from work and are weeping with exhaustion by 8 p.m. Pregnancy tiredness in a nutshell.
2. Feeling sick. Easing into your day with a trip to the bathroom followed by a leisurely cup of coffee is a thing of the past. Now it’s a desperate scramble to chew a piece of dry toast or something equally bland in an attempt to keep morning sickness at bay. And why on earth is it called morning sickness when you feel queasy 24/7?
3. Hunger. Pregnant women are supposed to eat plenty of fruit. Fruit is a great go-to snack when you’re pregnant. And boy, do you need to snack. Constant snacking is your new normal. Sandwiches, crackers, nuts, buns, yoghurt, citrus fruits…anyone up for a snack? Tips for good food for moms-to-be
4. Sense of smell. In early pregnancy, your senses are heightened and you may have a more sensitive sense of smell than usual. Is the normally amazing scent of your partner now deeply repellent and is traveling on public transport only bearable with your face buried in a scarf? We know the feeling.
5. Breasts. Normally small and soft –now twice the size, rock hard and always sore. Your tummy’s not the only thing that grows during pregnancy.
6. Sense of taste. You used to love Thai food and now just thinking about it makes you want to throw up. That must-have morning cup of coffee is now the very last thing you want. Your sense of taste goes haywire, and you get sudden cravings for new and bizarre flavors and foods.
7. Mood swings. You used to be such an easy-going and well-balanced person. Now the least little thing will set you off and your reactions surprise everyone – especially you! The hormonal changes making you feel tired and nauseated will also keep you on an emotional roller coaster.
Newly pregnant? Here’s how to tackle the 7 most annoying comments